Greetings from the Sunshine State!

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Coldplay Mania


They don’t compare to the Beatles. I know!! But...for a short period of time on Friday night I came close to knowing exactly how those hysterical screaming, jumping, flailing, girls felt during the Ed Sullivan Show. I never understood the frenzied fans chasing Elvis or fainting as Michael Jackson (the 1980’s version, of course) simply walked by them, but something came over me at the Coldplay concert and I now realize it is something you cannot control. I could see Chris heading for the steps to run off the stage into the pavilion. I snapped. I had no idea which classic hysterical fan move I was going to pull: would I a) scream; b) chase; c) challenge security; or d) faint? Well, I chose a, b, and c. I left Monte in the dust and took off in a shrieking sprint down the aisle and got to the steps where I was politely asked to go back to my seat. I said “ok, sorry” and turned around just as “hysterical fan mode” kicked in again. I spun around and darted between the two security guards. The big guy grabbed me and placed me back on the steps and as I was apologizing- I caught a glimpse of Chris 10 feet in front of me! Again, I snapped and broke through them. Geez. Those security guards thought I was nuts. I was! Sarah asked me the next day, “What were you planning on doing if you actually did make it through and got to him? It never crossed my mind. Would I say hi? Touch his arm? Ask for an autograph? There would have been no time for any of that. It was not rational and definitely was not my most respectable moment. But, it was an unbelievable concert and now I recognize why “fan” is short for “fanatic.”

Fanatic: fa-'na-tik
Etymology: Latin fanaticus inspired by a deity, frenzied: marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion.



This is the picture Monte snapped as I was running back to find him after all of this. It is not the most flattering picture but you can see the pure insanity in my eyes.

2 Shout outs:

  • You're one wild child...will you be more restrained when you see Chris in Tampa? I know he made eye contact with you and will be afraid if he sees you charge him again.EEEE!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:01 AM  

  • LOVE IT! -Whitney

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home