Greetings from the Sunshine State!

Monday, February 20, 2006

Caution: Couple Working

I saw a bumper sticker once that showed the traditional, Men Working sign and under it read: "Women work all the time, but men have to put up a sign to tell everyone about it." I thought that was kind-of funny. But anyway, our Backyard Renovation Project has officially commenced and will probably continue for the next couple of weeks. We have been delaying the replacement of our dilapidated chain link fence and our lawn-o'weeds because we thought we wouldn’t be able to afford it. But, once we decided to do the majority of the work ourselves, we are going to save thousands of dollars. So, Monte took the bull by the horns while I was at the gym last week and managed to take down the entire fence and all the posts. This may not sound like a huge feat, but when you consider the amount of solid concrete that was securing these small metal posts—it is Herculean. Just look at those hernia-inducing things! Why on earth would anything other than the Golden Gate Bridge need that much concrete?

I was extremely happy to have escaped the majority of the labor of the deconstruction, but a little worried about what kind of internal damage Monte did to his body after single-handedly tackling
it. He continues to assure me he's perfectly fine. This weekend it was my task was to prep the yard for the sod. We worked non-stop for 2 days, and it's still not done! I guess anything is better than when we first moved in. This is what our yard looked like a year ago:

The whole thing was a dust bowl, topped off with a heaping pile of trash which was totally overgrown with vines and weeds. More importantly, the chain link fence surrounding the yard was really ugly and offered absolutely no privacy from our neighborhood perve, "Rollerboy," as Monte calls him. This guy is about 45 years old, in a wheelchair (yet still shuffles his feet to roll down the street) and resembles a very disheveled Lieutenant Dan. He never leaves his house without his Big Gulp of some sort of liquor mixture and rolls down the street to park directly behind our house to watch us work in our yard. Every so often he'll slur out, "Ya'll need some help? I'm strong, brother- I swear!" and "Man, I like the way you look," or "Man, you guys are so cool--you make me wanna lock my brakes!"** I'm pretty sure he's harmless, but is definitely off the charts on the creepy-scale. Umm, yeah. So a privacy fence is long overdue because we are tired of having to yell, "Keep rollin' dude...you can't park there!" before stepping out our back door.
This is a more recent photo, taken after we put in the patio and some landscaping. It's a work in progress, and we'll post some pictures when we get the new fence. _____________________________________________________________
**He said this one day when Monte was lifting something really heavy....We think when something makes him "lock his brakes," it means that something is totally awesome??

5 Shout outs:

  • I like the Molly action shot on the grass.

    By Blogger INSwimmer, at 11:00 AM  

  • Looks so good! You don't need sod! Why do people get so crazy when it's tax-refund time and invest in things like sod?! I think your grass looks better than sod... I don't know much about sod, but wouldn't a trip be much more fulfilling?? I don't know guys - I'm very impressed with your 'adult-decisions' though... oh, and the privacy fence sounds like a great idea - rollerboy sounds very scary!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:33 PM  

  • You have no idea how impressed I am that Monte was able to pull those posts...that' HARD work! However, raking dirt is hard too. Have you tried tying a mini rake to Molly and getting her hyped up so she can help move dirt? Your work will pay off with an even more beautiful backyard. Save some work for me when I come down!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:07 PM  

  • Your backyard looks great! From the looks of it, Molly is pretty amped about it all too. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see you guys this weekend!

    By Blogger Whitney, at 5:50 PM  

  • Keenan -- you and Monte are putting my yard to shame... my cubical buddies and I are all impressed by the before and after pics!

    Wave hi to Roller Boy for me -- does he still only travel in reverse???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home