Greetings from the Sunshine State!

Thursday, February 16, 2006

I promise to be better for Beijing-2008

I have to say I feel a little guilty because I haven’t watched ANY of the Olympic games. Not a single minute. It’s not all my fault—how can I be expected to watch cross-country skiing when there are American Idol, Project Runway, and documentaries about Meth? I usually get into the figure skating competition for at least one Saturday afternoon or so, but for some reason Turin (or ‘Torino’ as NBC decided to pronounce it in order to ‘sexy-it-up’) has not sparked my interest at all. There aren't any Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding scandals and no scantily-clad swimmers or track stars to keep my attention. So I'm just not watching. I don't even have a clue what happened with Michelle Kwan. All I know is people keep talking about her 'groin' and I always giggle when I hear that word. I think it also comes down to the coverage that we get on TV. I would much rather just have direct access to watch the events themselves-- minus the commentators trying to make a select few athletes into celebrities. It’s like they try to turn their lives into episodes of 'Behind the Music,' and don't really show many events. Plus, for me, the winter Olympics will never compare to the summer games. Who can resist watching the teeny gymnasts turn into a flipping flurry of oversized quadriceps and glittery hairspray? (I can almost hear Bela Karoli now...."Keh-deee! Yoooo can do eeeet!") And who doesn't smile at the thought of synchronized swimming? Yep, I like everything better in summertime- including the Olympics. OK, well I feel better now that I have confessed that I'm not doing my patriotic duty to support our US athletes at this time. I’m sorry America!

1 Shout outs:

  • Alas, poor Bodie and Apolo...So much hype. So many human interest stories...So many potential endorsements...now Bodie will only get the PayLess Shoes account and Apolo will be the spokesperson for Big-K cola.
    How 'bout that Tonya Harding??!! Have you seen her lately??!! God love her.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home