Things here at the Farrar household have been busy over the past couple of weeks. My Mom visited for the long Columbus Day weekend. Luke had a ball with her and we, of course, enjoyed her company and all her help. We took him on walks, played outside, gave him several baths, and she even babysat while Monte and I had a night out on the town with our friends. I missed him so much by the end of the night, but it was really fun for us to be out with good food and friends.
Lucas had his 1 month checkup yesterday and is already 10 pounds 3 ounces and 23 inches! The doctor said he is right on track and at the 50th percentile for both. Though I think he feels like more around 90th percentile when I carry him around! He is very healthy overall, but we did discuss the rash on his face that had gotten worse over the past week. I initially thought it was just baby acne that many babies get, but I was concerned when it became very dry, red and covered both his cheeks. The doctor thought that it could be eczema. I read that this can be an itchy and frustrating (not to mention unsightly) problem that can sometimes last for months or even years. Lucas' case is pretty mild, but I really hope we can find out what is causing this and get it under control quickly. Since I am exclusively breastfeeding, the doctor said that it is most likely an allergic reaction to something I am eating. He mentioned it is usually caused by peanut butter and/or milk, but since I never eat either of those things--I thought it couldn't be. I quickly realized that I actually do eat nuts, yogurt, and cheese pretty much every day as sources of protein since I am a vegetarian. He said I should cut out nuts and all dairy, and that will probably clear it up quickly. So cutting those out, in addition to meat, leaves me with only a few choices when it comes to protein. I guess I will research vegan cooking and will have to get creative as I try to keep myself and Lucas healthy at the same time. So I am in mourning today as I say good bye to yummy cheese, yogurt, ice cream, cottage cheese, veggie dip...the list just goes on and on! We will keep our fingers crossed and see how it goes.
I will leave you with a video from this morning of Lucas and I playing and doing squats. I love those little bow legs! (Please excuse my bed head)
What a beautiful boy.