Greetings from the Sunshine State!

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Ghetto Fabulous

What a week. Monday was my first day in my new office building and it has been an “interesting” week to put it politely. I moved out of my old office and clinic due to shifting of personnel and the need for office space. Since I am in charge of the immunization program for all 8 of our clinics in the county, it really wasn’t necessary for me to be in that specific clinic, so I was transferred to the administration office. The rest of our administrative team moved to this new location in December, and I have been dragging my feet until it was absolutely necessary for me to go. You will understand my reasoning in a moment.

Of course, there are a few positive aspects about my new location such as: a nice big office, no screaming children, great coworkers (no rednecks!), a 10-minute commute, and a tasty little $$ bonus. But, I have been a little more preoccupied with the negatives. When I found out I would be moving to the (cue the foreshadowing doom music)...dun dun daaaaaahn...“College Hill Location,” I was overcome by intense fear. Fear? You may be wondering what could be scary about moving offices? Well, let me just say this: I drive down MARTIN LUTHER KING Blvd and pass 45 LIQUOR stores, 67 PAWN shops, 22 check-cashing stores, and turn into the neighborHOOD where I work across the street from the PROJECTS. Our lovely office has burglar bars on the inside of the windows, is locked 24/7, and has a security guard (thank the Lord) in the parking lot. Since I arrived on Monday, we have experienced:

1 attempted break-in ,
1 gun shot to the window (OK, it was a beebee--but still!) ,
A domestic violence dispute next door,
Teenagers smoking weed on our front steps, and
An employee’s windshield wiper ripped off.

So, you can see why it is going to take some adjustment. Or Valium. It makes me feel better that my boss and all of my coworkers were equally apprehensive about moving here and they all insist that it is really not as bad as it is made out to be. Everyone has been very welcoming and supportive, and assure me that a fence is coming in the next month and that the neighborhood is, "on the upswing." So, I'm confident that it will only get better. That being said....
My weekend “To Do” list:
1. Buy pepper spray (also ask about tasers)
2. Go to Kickboxing class
3. Buy "
The Club"
4. Post resume on Monster.com

3 Shout outs:

  • Hey! I work off of MLK in Indy and it's not that bad. Granted I pass the BBQ Heaven with bars on the windows and the "Super 88", which I can only assume sells everything for 88cents (just like the dollar store).

    Ask about the taser thou, just because I think it would be a blast at party's.

    By Blogger INSwimmer, at 8:23 PM  

  • I just wanted to let you know that "Slagkicks" is on my iPod. I guess it loads anything that is on the computer. I was on the plane coming home from Dallas and it came on. I immediately had to change it because I was already freaking out on the plane. John and I also listened to it on our way home from Chicago.

    GARGOYLES!

    By Blogger Whitney, at 10:52 AM  

  • Okay, you still have an water,sand and sunny skies.And now a spacious office. You win.

    By Blogger Jill, at 3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home