On this harvest moon
We had the epitomie of fall weekend--minus changing leaves and crisp temperatures. But, all of the football games, pumpkins, and the big pot of chili we made gave me that nostalgic feeling of Autumn. Friday night we went to the Clearwater Jazz Fest and saw Bela Fleck. We spent a beautiful evening under the stars with good food and drinks, listening to live music- that's pretty hard to beat for me. Then Saturday we got up early and went to the Hyde Park farmers' market in search of pumpkins. It was the most uppity farmers' market I have ever seen. They wanted $25.00 for their small pumpkins. Hell-to-the-naw. I had to pass on paying over $50.00 for a couple of gourds to rot on my front porch in 2 weeks. We can just go to Publix and buy the whole barrel for that. We ended up going to Hooters to wa
tch the Hoosiers get beat by Iowa (yeah, go ahead and smile, Dad. Boooo!). It was my first time at one of these fine establishments and I was a shocked by their outfits! No... I'm not talking about the whole argument that they are too revealing, degrading to women, etc. Whatever. It's that those poor girls have to wear these hideous 1980s-looking outfits with fugly dark brown pantyhose/legging-thingys, ginormous slouch socks, and huge white cross-trainers. They are in need of a serious update for 2006-these things will never cycle back in style. Anyway, our waitress was on a mission for a good tip, and seeing that Monte was a married man (with his wife present) must have posed more of a challenge for her than the beefcakes at the bar who came for, well--hooters. She had to modify her usual flirt-and-stick-boobs-in-face strategy in order to appeal to both of us. I guess in her mind, that meant one thing. She needed to get me drunk. Every time I took a sip of my beer, she was right back with our pitcher filling my glass to the brim. So, 45 beers later, I was on my way home with a nice afternoon buzz. Fall, football, and daytime-drinking always remind me of Bloomington, so the rest of the weekend we spent acting like college kids by eating greasy food, sleeping late, and lounging on the couch all day. Ok, I just said college "kids"- now I really feel old.



It's a good thing there's football on Saturdays in the fall because I need an excuse to act like a "college kid" too!! Glad you can open your windows up...just as we have to close ours up for the winter...Enjoy your weather and I hope the last hurricane of the year (god, I hope it's the last) is gentle to you.