Greetings from the Sunshine State!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Do I Get Nine?

I was lying in bed last night thinking about how I don't think I've ever been happier. It seems like, lately, my life has just been getting better every day. While I was thinking about how much I love my life, my thoughts shifted south...like 6-feet-under-south. My flight of ideas went from looking back to how I got to where I am today...to thinking about the many memorable experiences I’ve had...to thinking about how virtually miraculous it is that I actually made it 26 years without dying. Here are a few instances where I escaped the Grim Reaper, and the causes for my insomnia last night:
  • Falling out of a tree from 35 feet at age 9. Cause of Death= broken neck.
  • In the most dilapidated shack-of-a-bar in the middle of Belize, for some reason I drank a pina colada (think: dirty glass, crusty blender, warm milk) when I very easily could have had a bottle of beer (sealed, sanitary, cold). Cause of Death= nice tall glass of botulism.
  • My senior high school spring break in Myrtle Beach. Ericka, Sarah, and I hung out with some unbelievably shady characters....including a hillbilly named “C.L.” (for Country Lewis). Cause of Death= Chopped up into little bits behind a doublewide.
  • Swimming at 2:00am in the pitch dark Atlantic Ocean. Cause of Death= Swallowed by a shark.
  • Basically every late night in Europe when we left the bars and tried to find the way back to our hostel. Cause of Death= Mugging, (although we were always more concerned with starvation at that point).
  • I was bitten by a Brown Recluse spider when I was 10. Cause of Death= severe necrosis progressing to renal failure.
  • Riding in the back of our neighbor's pickup truck going 70mph down the Interstate. Cause of Death= Wreck, fall out, flip, truck tire, ...etc
  • Camping in Yellowstone and forgetting about the crackers in my backpack...which was in my tent. Cause of Death= Mauled by Grizzly.
  • Blow drying my hair recently. Cause of Death= electrocution from the sparks shooting at my freaking face.
  • I fell asleep after that last one.

I consider myself a relatively careful, risk-averting, street-smart gal, but I don’t think I had ever really thought about how lucky I am to have my life, let alone actually enjoy it.

2 Shout outs:

  • It just goes to show you that waking up and living life has risks but isn't it all GREAT??!!
    What about when you and your cousins encounted the oil tanker on the Port Aransas Ferry? Cause of Death - sucked under an oil barge in the Gulf of Mexico.
    And what about swimming in the creek in Oklahoma when you were a youngster while we watched for water moccasins and copperheads?
    Cause of death - poisionous snake bite!
    Glad you're still with us...:)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:38 AM  

  • yes, we should have been chopped into bits and left behind a double-wide in myrtle beach. we deserved it. geez - country lewis... (i don't burn honey, i tan!) who did we think we were? if i ever have an 18-yr-old daughter, she will be forbidden to leave the state!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home