Getting My Kicks
Circa 1988...I stand on the dusty patch and squint out toward the field of dewy grass. Suddenly, the big red ball comes rolling toward me and I square up in preparation for what I believe will be the play of the year. I envision myself blasting the rubber ball into space, sprinting around the orange construction cones, and scoring the winning run. I watch the ball, approach, stutter-step, and...Whiff!! Strike two. The boys giggle and my teacher claps her hands and tells me to try again, “It’s OK; you can do it!” I hear another giggle and suddenly something takes over; my blood begins to boil from the competitive fire within. My toes crunch from force as I kick the ball harder than I ever have before, and run to 2nd base. A runner scores, and my team cheers. I give myself an internal high-five. Yessssssssssss.
What does this have to do with anything? Well, tonight I am going to be having flashbacks from that very game, and I am hoping to channel some of that energy. Tonight is the first game of our Kickball League season. Our co-ed team, “The Heiny Hustlers” (we are sponsored by Heineken and our color is green) is composed of 18 friends of varying athletic ability and zero kickball experience after elementary school. It is going to be a blast from the past and we are all so excited! I will be sure to periodically update on our team standings and post pictures of Monte sliding into home without spilling his beer. Wish us luck tonight as we K-some-A (and balls)!!



Good for you, what a fun idea. You are still young enough to handle all that kicking and running stuff.We used to have neighborhood kickball games. That was back in the dark ages....when you drank water from a garden hose when you were thirsty.