Finding Emo
Because it’s the Friday before Labor Day, it is very slow today at work. So, I have just spent the better part of my morning doing research on a phenomenon that has me extremely intrigued and perplexed. Emos.Definition: As an adjective, emo can describe a style of fashion or music; or a general state of unhappiness or melancholy (as in "to feel emo"). As a noun, Emo is also used to identify a member of the "emo scene" or someone dressing in the "emo" stereotype.
I had never heard of this term until very recently, and I thought it was just a few indie-rock bands in New York or something. I was so wrong. Apparently, this is a mainstream fashion an
d lifestyle trend that I had no idea about. Monte and I watched the MTV Video Music Awards last night and I almost had a mental breakdown. It seemed as if everyone short of Beyonce was an EMO!! Their tapered black jeans, the heavy black eyeliner, the choppy haircuts and peircings. I was screaming at the television, “Oh my God, Monte, there’s another one!” “Monte! What the hell?! Look! Jared Leto is an Emo now too?? Jordan Catalano, are you kidding me?” I just don’t understand it. What does it mean? Is there a political statement behind it? I don’t know, but I am fascinated by the whole thing. But, at the same time, it makes me feel so old and out of touch because I didn't know, “how those darn kids are dressing these days?” Is this fashionable now? Where have I been? And, now I see them EVERYWHERE. This morning on my way to work I saw 4 of them walking to the high school. Go to any mall and you will see them. Once you really look around, you will notice that they are taking over. I really have no point to all of this, other than it’s just really freakin’ me out.


OHMYGOSH! Jake and I were thinking the same thing while watching the MTV music awards. Jake thinks that they are getting redemption for getting picked on during gym class. Also, what is up with freakishly tight colored jeans? And, MY GOD Jared Leto, looks K-razy.