Confessions of a Junkie
I started hearing about it a few months ago on the news and as more people began talking about it, but I had never really seen it. I have to admit, I was a little intrigued—but I didn’t think it was something I would ever experiment with. Then I actually saw people using it, and it seemed harmless, I guess. Not long after that, I found out several of my friends were doing it and were getting addicted. I tried to be strong and resist the temptation to try it, but I eventually failed. I was overcome by curiosity...the thought of belonging...the peer pressure.
I must confess. Last week I did it.
I joined Myspace* (or “MyCrack,” as some call it). Yes, I am now a part of this cult and I am already completely addicted. Just days ago, I was ridiculing this foreign land in cyberspace where people claimed to have "thousands of friends," and foolishly posted photos and intimate details of their lives. Now, just days later, I am fully engulfed in this world and am obsessed with previously meaningless concepts such as my “top eight” and “pending friend requests.” So myspace is the newest mechanism to my already overloaded list of technological communication methods. This means that I now have 1 blog to maintain, at least 8-10 other blogs to read/comment on regularly, 2 email accounts to constantly check, Instant Messages, text messages, phone calls coming from my desk, home, and cell phones all at the same time. Yikes!!! I guess if you can’t get in touch with me, I’m dead. Or on vacation, in which case, leave me alone! :) No, just kidding, but can you believe how accessible we all are now? I can’t say I don’t love it, though. I have never been farther away from my family and best friends, but I feel more connected than I ever have.
__________________________________________________________
*Hey, don't make fun! You know you'll be a member of the elite, ever-increasing group known as "Keenan's friends" very soon. C'mon! Everybody's doin' it...
I must confess. Last week I did it.
I joined Myspace* (or “MyCrack,” as some call it). Yes, I am now a part of this cult and I am already completely addicted. Just days ago, I was ridiculing this foreign land in cyberspace where people claimed to have "thousands of friends," and foolishly posted photos and intimate details of their lives. Now, just days later, I am fully engulfed in this world and am obsessed with previously meaningless concepts such as my “top eight” and “pending friend requests.” So myspace is the newest mechanism to my already overloaded list of technological communication methods. This means that I now have 1 blog to maintain, at least 8-10 other blogs to read/comment on regularly, 2 email accounts to constantly check, Instant Messages, text messages, phone calls coming from my desk, home, and cell phones all at the same time. Yikes!!! I guess if you can’t get in touch with me, I’m dead. Or on vacation, in which case, leave me alone! :) No, just kidding, but can you believe how accessible we all are now? I can’t say I don’t love it, though. I have never been farther away from my family and best friends, but I feel more connected than I ever have.
__________________________________________________________
*Hey, don't make fun! You know you'll be a member of the elite, ever-increasing group known as "Keenan's friends" very soon. C'mon! Everybody's doin' it...



I think I should just copy and paste your blog on to mine. We both "broke" within days from the myspace pressure. I'm glad you are embracing it. I'm still working on it, but I can see it's dangerous addiction looming behind my email accounts, facebook, people.com, stuffonmycat.com, cuteoverload.com, IM, etc. What's next? Who knows, but let's join it. :)