Greetings from the Sunshine State!

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Back Home Again in ????

As we ate our Thanksgiving meal, I looked around and my heart was overflowing with love for every person at the table. The great conversation, jokes, and reminiscing perfectly complimented the perfect meal. After eating until we were delirious, we all set off on a walk to make room for pie. We walked around my old neighborhood to the field of my middle school where we played Frisbee, chased Molly around, and savored the gorgeous afternoon while lounging in the cool grass (I miss soft Indiana grass!). Looking around and seeing beautiful homes, open green fields, families strolling the tree-lined streets, all surrounded by a serene quiet—it was so Rockwellesque. It was just so comforting, and I thought to myself that the Midwest is where we belong.

I really don’t want to start thinking about “The Big Move,” because I get an instant tension headache and my blood pressure soars. But every time we go back to Indiana, the desire to move back reemerges even stronger. And at the same time, I was so relieved to get back to Tampa to my home and friends here. I’ve never felt truly at home in two places at once, but I do now. Some days Monte and I talk about putting our house on the market right away, and then other days (like Sunday when I laid out by the pool!), we decide to stay and have kids here. It is just so difficult. Whatever happens, I know that I am extremely fortunate to have friends and loved ones in both places, so that wherever we are—we are home.

6 Shout outs:

  • i've been so happy for you guys that things have worked out so well in tampa. and if you decide to stay, i will continue to be happy for you, and i will continue my annual visits :) however, in an effort to keep you well-informaed on all issues related to the potential move or potential non-move, i think i'll begin a campaign of sorts... just an unbiased look at the issues, one point at a time.
    1. Indiana may be the home of the next superbowl champs... How are those Buccaneers doing?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:38 AM  

  • I too would like nothing better to have you back home in Indiana. On the other hand, to raise the 2nd point:
    2. It is about 24 degrees this morning and the highways were a sheet of ice on the way to work.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:02 AM  

  • You have to remind yourself that you and Monte have a history of making good decisions, whether it was school, marriage, Molly, moving, etc. I think when the time comes, it will be an easy decision to make. Fate brought you to FL and you both started a wonderful new life down there. Just remember, nothing ever has to be permanent and you two can always pick up your things and start a new adventure whenever you want!

    PS - Did you see my new entry about OBX? Brings new meaning to the term beach bum!

    By Blogger Whitney, at 10:27 AM  

  • touché, steve.

    scraping the ice off my windows is the bane of my existence right now... point for tampa.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:06 AM  

  • Whatever.. Jonny and I both believe that you are Hoosiers and your true home is Indiana.... :)We are going to raise the kids together.:) You don't want to miss out on Jonny's little boys hair styles. HAHAHAHA.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:07 PM  

  • Hi, kids. Thought I'd weigh in on your dilemma with this: "back in the day" your mom and I grew up in the same town as both sets of grandparents, aunts and uncles and tons of cousins. It was such a rich experience for us. I am so grateful that my little Izzy is here in my town, and so, when you think about raising kids, know that your kids' grandparents have so much to offer your kids, and to give those little Farrars that richness I enjoyed so much is definitely something to consider. Weather aside, the tugs on the heartstrings will tell you what to do.

    I love you guys,
    Aunt Cindy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home