Greetings from the Sunshine State!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I forgot I had a blog.

I'm not even sure why I still have one since I only update it every 6 months, but today I am feeling like procrastinating--so I am going to write a bit. Since my last post in April, so much has changed around here. But one thing is the same: that little baby that was keeping me up all night is still keeping me up all night. Actually it's not because she is crying, eating, or even awake at all. This child LOVES her sleep! But, just her presence in the little bassinet beside my bed makes me wake up every 2 hours. She usually eats and goes to sleep by 8:30 and doesn't wake up until 4:30am or so. Meanwhile, I am up checking on her multiple times during the night. Oh well, I guess lack of sleep comes with the territory of a newborn--even if she is the only one in the house sleeping through the night. Luke has been getting in the habit of waking up in the middle of the night needing something to drink, to potty, or wanting to sleep in "Mommy's bed." I really hope this is a very short phase. The other night at 3:00am, I woke up and found him in the dark living room with all of his toys out of his toybox and playing Angry Birds on Daddy's iPod. Normally when I tuck him in bed at night, he asks me to put the baby gate up at his door, but that night must have been a premeditated party.

He has been such an amazing big brother so far, though. He is constantly kissing and patting Julia on the head (though sometimes just a little too hard) and has only picked her up and tried carry her across the room once, so I think he's doing pretty good. :) He calls her little his little "Chick-a-dee," "Pretty Dark Eyes," and "Sweet baby Jules" which melts my heart because he came up with them on his own. He is a great helper too. He gets burp cloths, diapers, and brings me the TV remote and water when I'm nursing. He brushed her hair last night and asked if she can have a Justin Beiber haircut like he has. (?) I am hiding the scissors even better now. (And as you see in the photo, lately, pants of any kind are "too fancy" to be worn at home.)

In the past 12 weeks, Julia has brought so much joy into our lives. Three months ago I couldn't imagine loving another child as much as Luke, but now I get it. It is unbelievable how your heart just expands and your love grows as your family does. She is the happiest baby I have ever met, and smiles constantly. Her smile is so infectious (like all babies' are) and she always sticks out her tiny little tongue. I can't believe how much easier it has been than I thought it would be. I must say that a newborn is much easier than a 3 year-old! No tantrums, no whining, no demands. All Julia needs to make her happy is her milk, swaddle blanket, clean diapers and an occasional ceiling fan to stare at. She is such a precious angel.

We are looking forward to a dinner and a movie date night this weekend (thanks John and Whitney!), Luke's 3rd birthday in a couple weeks, Ericka and Gus visiting, a beach house vacation in October, and so much more fun in the coming months. I am really going to try to post updates because I like looking back and reading what the heck has happened in my life because I have Mommy Brain and can't remember anything anymore. I guess I can always blog in the middle of the night when it's quiet and everyone is sleeping but me!

2 Shout outs:

  • Thanks for the long-waited "special edition" update.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:37 PM  

  • Love all those Nick-names! So cute, keep the blogs coming I've really missed them.

    By Blogger Jill, at 11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home